Garston Hospital Liverpool - NHS
Sited on an elevated plot in Garston, the new Health Centre replaced a much loved Edwardian Hospital.
Strong geometric forms clad in stainless steel combine with a dramatic welcoming entrance carved into the sandstone to create a new landmark.
A café and pharmacy animate the street frontage at lower ground level. Fragments of the demolished hospital offer references to the history of the site. A large courtyard provides the inner focal point housing a ‘Tropical Garden’ inspired by the birth of tropical medicine in Liverpool.
The building has been designed to achieve BREEAM Healthcare rating of ‘Excellent’. The design includes renewable energy technology that supplies 44% of the building’s energy demand via solar thermal collectors and ground source heat pumps which supply both heating and cooling. This technology will reduce the anticipated building’s carbon emissions by 15%.
The mirror finish shingles were fabricated in our workshop and provide the striking to finish to a building that is the focal point of the regeneration of South Liverpool.
This project is one of our most favourite and something that we are incredibly proud of, so much so that our MD has a large canvas print of it in his office.
- 0.5mm thick, grade 316, Ugi-Bright stainless steel roof, wall and soffit coverings, with single lock welt joints at 375x900mm nominal centres
- Tyvek separating underlay
- 18mm thick, W.B.P. exterior grade plywood
- 32x50mm treated softwood battens at 600mm centres
- 220mm deep aluminium bracket & rail system
- 65mm thick, foil faced insulation between the aluminium bracket & rail system
- 100mm thick, mineral wool insulation between the metsec frame
- Mirror finish stainless steel shingles + substrate
- Polycarbonate cladding
What our clients say
"Longworth's knowledge, hands-on attitude and wealth of experience allows them to work with the architect and project team to turn complex designs into reality. We commend their positive and cooperative attitude towards design."
Jason Duggan - Architect, Capita Symonds